Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Jockamo's-Style Pizza Primavera!

How was your hump day?!
Hope your made it through without too many bumps or bruises!

.... Speaking of bumps, guess who is head-to-toe covered in mosquito bites?!.... ME naturally :(

Perhaps we shouldn't have taken the dogs on an impromptu walk around my in-laws property on Saturday...

After calling Alex at work from seeing the massive amounts and size of mosquito bites that kept scratching in my sleep, apparently, he's in pretty bad shape too, which resulted in a "yes, we're that weird couple" kind of conversation:

Me: Hunny, I have freakin' 19 mosquito bites on my legs, several on my back, and 2 on my stomach...

Alex: Wow, I thought I was in bad shape...

Me: .... And I just found another one on my side...

Alex: Maybe we should rub some cortisone on each other when I get home...
(Pause... Crickets)
... that sounded a lot dirtier than what I meant....

So apparently, tonight we'll be lathering up in cortisone before I scratch every piece of skin off of my body from this craziness!... and investing in some bulk sized bug spray that I will carry at all times!

-----------

Sorry to jump from mosquito bites to food, but hey, there aren't always perfect segways into new topics, right?!

Alex got home late from work and starving and I had completely lost track of time, so I needed to whip up something fast while he watered the lawn. Thus:

PIZZA TO THE RESCUE!
No, not the frozen kind and no delivery... this baby is homemade me friends!

Jockamo's is a local pizza place down the road that is absolutely to-die-for-delicious! Perfect crust, great location(s) and superbly fresh ingredients... whether you choose one of their specialities pizza or (as we do), a "Create Your Own" with such a variety of ingredients to choose from, you're truly in for a flavorful treat locals, so check it out if you haven't already... it's simply a must have if you live or visit the the Indy area!

.... They do have a location now in Greenwood, IN also so perhaps with their growing (and well deserved!) reputation, they can expand further outside Indiana! Their crust truly is un-matchable, I'm tellin' ya!

Oh and vote Jockamo's BEST PIZZA in Indy if you can!

As much as we love to dive our faces into Jockamo pizza, having eaten out more in a week than we do in 1-2 months, I tried my own version of a "semi-homemade" (sans any Sandra Lee reference!) at-home, seasonal version of a Jockamo Specialty Pizza.

... and hey folks, give this lady a break for cuttin' some corners here.... A gal's gotta do what she can in a time and $$$ pinch with a hungry hubby!!! :)

JOCKAMO'S PIZZA PRIMAVERA
Serves 8 slices/12" medium pizza
My version of Jockamo's Pizza Primavera

In the line up!




For the sauce:
- 1 (14-ounce) jar pre-made pizza sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Coach's Ordes:

1. Heat pre-made pizza sauce (or homemade, but like I said, hungry man waits for no one!), but then I jazzed it up a bit for some extra flavor by stirring in the dried basil, dried oregano to really bring out the dominant flavors of traditional red pizza sauce and some red pepper flakes for a kick instead of adding it on top of the pizza.

Insert Katie anecdote: I love the kick/spice of red pepper flakes, but they never evenly distribute on the top of a pizza, so one thing you're biting into a delicious piece of pizza, and then the next bite, you're mouth is burning from the too many pepper flakes that landed in that vicinity.... Thus I added it to the sauce.  PERFECTION! .

....End of rant...

Now....

For the PIZZA!
- 1 pre-made pizza crust (Borboli or local store brand)
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tablespoons red onion, thinly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 Tablespoon brocoli, chopped, hard ends removed
- 1 Tablespoon orange pepper, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon carrot, thinly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
-------
- Grated Romano cheese ~ 1 Tablespoon (enough to slightly coat the top at the end of baking)
- Grated Parmesan cheese  ~ 2 Tablespoons  (enough to slightly coat the top at the end of baking)
- 3 large fresh basil leaves, thinly chopped (to add at the end of baking)

Now for the magic to begin!

 First off, while this homemade version was super darn yummy, Jockamo's is known for their crust (So.Very.True.), so I can't beat them in this area no matter how hard I try!

That being said....

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees (this isn't what the package stated, but I'm a picky pizza cooker & tend to do my own thang!). Start off with a pre-made pizza crust (or again, homemade if you like) and slightly mist in olive oil/canola/non-stick spray.

2. Liberally cover the crust with your warmed and jazzed up sauce.  I used pretty much the whole 14-ounce jar, so it worked out perfectly.  Evenly cover all areas of the crust as much as you can.

3. Next liberally cover the crust with 8 ounces of shredded mozzarella cheese.  I usually like to use a mix, but again, what I had on hand and a hungry man waitin'!




4. Try to evenly add all the chopped veggies: roasted red pepper, red onion, orange pepper, brocoli, carrots and grape tomatoes.




5.  Place on top shelf of heated oven and cook for about 5 minutes (when you see the cheese melting and the veggie slightly browning) before turning it around or else the back portion of the pizza will get much crispier, so this helps it cook evenly!


6. After the pizza cooks for another 5 minutes, heat up the oven to 450 degrees and sprinkle the chopped basil, parmesan and romano cheese evenly around the pizza and pop that baby back in for a about 3-4 more minutes to let cheese melt and brown the crust and veggies to perfection!


7. Keep your eye on it at this point cause' pizzas can burn on ya' in the blink of an eye, then pull it out when it's perfectly browned and let cool on the stovetop before cutting into slices.

VOILA!



Alex wasn't feelin' the cool down period, so I sliced into this baby a little sooner than usual, but once I lifted that slice and saw that deliciously melted cheese... What's that sound?! Oh yeah, my grumbling stomach....


Well hello there gorgeous ;)


Perfectly cooked crust, all the veggies were cooked but still had a great crunch, and even Alex said his favorite part on the pizza was...

THE BROCOLI?!

I was glad he was outside while it was baking because I was so certain he'd see me making pizza and see brocoli and beg me to only put it on "my half"...

I guess you really do learn new things everyday!

SO.UNBELIEVABLY.DELICIOUS.

I think this was my third second almost gone slice :)

We devoured to this baby with only 1 slice to spare... Whoops! The smell of the pizza was stronger than our portion control, what can I say?!

Hats off to you Jockamo's, a perfect ingredient list for a quick homemade dinner with seasonal veggies that makes pizza still cheesy, buttery goodness, but with a perfect blend of veggies to make it healthy and summery!

... Plus it's homemade, so the buttery portion is largely scaled back than at a typical pizza chain restaurant where usually the crust is made and then dowsed in butter which makes it crazy heavy and greasy, which this was none of :) Jockamo's has a perfect balance of healthy and just lightly heavy, so if you don't try this, try Jockamo's for that perfect mix!

If we weren't covered in mosquito bites and afraid to attract more, I'd suggest an evening stroll to help soothe our pizza-coma, so I think we'll lounge in our cortisone cream before headin' to bed!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can find me on Twitter: 
@IndysVeggieFix

Instagram: IndysVeggieFix


No comments:

Post a Comment