Tuesday, July 2, 2013

While the Husband's Away...

All my solo weekend plans got rained out, except my hair color that was a must  a) because I needed to do something and b) I have a slight hair color addiction.... but I've been very proud that I've almost 3 years sans CVS-style-from-a-box-you-might-as-well-burn-your-hair-off-its-so-horrible coloring my hair :)  (.... and all these years I wondered why my hair doesn't grow quickly.... DUH?!.... You've been poisoning the poor follicles!....) Keepin' it healthy folks, yet still keepin' things sasssssssy! :) RAWR!

The hubs saw a picture via IndyCookinGal Instagram and was chipper at the look & idea of coming home to a "stranger"... Yes, we're "that ol' married couple" + already weird so we find the simplest things enticing.

Went in with my natural dirty blonde... BLEH!

... and came out a sassy red head! :)

.... and the rain stopped long enough on Sunday to take the pups on a short stroll through the neighborhood :)

But on we go!

While the husband's away, instead of sulking and moping, I realized... here is my chance to make all of the dishes on my forever long to do list that I know he'd be not so fond of!

Alex is an AH-MAZING cook, seriously! After years of cooking at the beloved Cinema Grill and his natural creativity, he can whip up some mighty tasty foods in a pinch.  Perhaps this should be Indy Cookin' Guy?!.... Nonetheless, he has an odd-ish food palette... For instance, his hatred for starting to come around to long noodle (angel hair, spaghetti, linguine, etc.etc.etc..... such a shame!) + his 99% oft the time dislike for Asian flavored foods.. which happen to be my friggin' favorite (naturally!). He'll eat it, but in the back of his mind or when truly ambitious, speaks aloud to his "Hey, would have just gone for pizza and saved the dish washing?"...... Yeah. Right......

Anyhow, onwards we go...!

Today, I'm pronouncing to the world, that while many (which is totally okay!) have absolutely no idea  (including me until about a year ago) what Kale is/where to buy it/what to do with it/etc..... Basicallllllllly, it's the new spinach.

So incredibly healthy and so very versatile! Can be implemented into a dish or served as the base of a salad just like spinach, but stays fresher, greener, better..... longer!

Kale Fried Rice
Serves 2
Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats


In the line up (for the sauce)!
- 2 Tablespoon mirin (a Japanese cookin' wine)
- 2 Tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup

 Coach's Orders!

1. In a medium bowl, combine mirin cookin' wine, soy sauce, sesame oil and.... yes, maple syrup.  Highly unusual but gave this dish a perfect hint a sweetness twist that will never be forgotten, so don't be afraid folks! Whisk/stir these babies up and set aside!





 In the line up (for the fried rice!)

- 1/2 bunch kale, removed from stem and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup jasmine rice (or whatever you have on hand)
- 6 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly diced
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- Sesame seeds to top at the end






Coach's Orders!

1. Bring ~ 6 cups water to boil in a wok on the stove and the salt liberally.  

2. Remove kale leaves from stalk and chopped up.  Add to salted, boiling water and cook for 3-5 minutes, then drain. 


3. Let kale cool for a bit add to a towel and cover on all sides.  Squeeze out all excess liquid and set aise. 







4. While kale is cooling, heat wok onto medium-high heat and add canola oil until heated. 










5. Add red onion first and let cook, stirring occasionally until translucent with a slight crunch, then add in the garlic!

 6. Stir constantly so garlic doesn't burn and add cooled kale and cooked rice (cook rice in vegetable stock according to packaged directions) and give that baby a stir to get the flava's mixin'



7. Add in the sauce we set aside earlier and stir that baby up! For vegan readers, ignore next step because this is DE-LISH as it is!... but I wanted to add some protein with 2 eggs to scramble into the pot!


Add dashes of sesame seeds for extra flava and crunch and you've yourself a Fried Rice feast!


I mean... look at this flava' on a fork! I can still taste it my friends! Now.... don't lick the screen Katie... 


Like I said earlier, it was a perfect temp, but rainy around our parts, so I enjoyed my perfectly starchy jasmine rice with softness from the egg, a slight crunch & chew from the kale with the oh.so.yummy sweet, tangy, and salty all-in-one flava' packed sauce with a side of my favorite summa' beer!


I inhaled ate this a bit too quickly, but gosh darn, I couldn't help it! The sesame seeds were a perfect addition to an already perfect meal.... Chow time!

I think my stomach is still recovering....


How can you resist this?!

ENJOY FRIENDS!

My hubby had great weather in Chicago so missed the rain soaking Indy weekend I endured, and it's currently storming, so I'm gonna snuggle it up with him and let him enjoy the weather while our poor Piper pup drools on our feet... She's terrified of storms :( I love storms, but my greatest fear is tornadoes, so there's a fine line!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can find me on Twitter: 

@IndysVeggieFix

Instagram: IndysVeggieFix


No comments:

Post a Comment