Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Laziest of Days....

I must say, this week has gone by painfully slow while crazily fast... Riddle me that ma' friends?!

I was so psyched at the new routine I was falllin' into, but Mother Nature had other plans, of course! Is it just me or does a gloomy day always seem snatch away any sense of productivity?!

What did we wake up to, you ask?! Rain, rain and more RAIN!

While I love snugglin' under the covers to the sound of much needed RAIN, I pretty much knew upon the sound of the first sprinkle that today was gonna' be.... well, let's just say, not as smooth and energy boostin' as yesterday!

In fact, today was the Mr. Hyde to yesterday's Dr. Jekyll..... And that's sayin' somethin' eh?!

Somethin' about non-stop rain leaves my Type A personality go south into never-never land, which was quite unexpected as I check the forecast more than I'd like to admit often enough that it had a mere 30% chance of rain, which in the summer's in Indiana, that's pretty much the norm!

Dear Meterologists, 

I love ya' fellas & ladies, but when you give me 30% chance, I glance away and hope for the best.... but today, you were about 70% off. 

Can we please do better next time?!


KATIE/Indy's Veggie Fix

Regardless, on Thursday's, the hubs comes home at an early hour since he has 9-11pm support slot, meanin' let's get dinner plans rollin' ASAP!

There comes a time in every person's week where making dinner is a far cry from any sort of enjoyable activity. In fact, it seems downright dreadful. Amen, ma' friend!.. and that would tonight!

However, a long string of oven/stoveless take out nights and our tightening budget seems to always motivate me to get into the kitchen and spark up something simple and quick! The first place I always look on these nights is my freezer, AKA the black whole of odds and ends that we inevitably forget about.

For a vegetarian favorite, I always store extra store bought or homemade falafel  in the freezer -- a Middle Eastern staple made of chickpeas, veggies (peppers, onions) and spices/herbs (cumin, coriander, parsley). I bought falafel balls from Traders Joe's and saved them in the freezer for a lazy day, and surely enough that day soon came... AKA, circa NOW! There and then, falafel gyros became a dinner delight.

I heated the frozen falafel in the oven with some sliced onions, then served in warm whole wheat pita bread with roasted red peppers, extra roasted onions, seeded and diced raw cucumber, hummus and my own makeshift cucumber dressing that is often found alongside Greek gyros. Authentic cucumber dressing would typically be made with plain yogurt and dill, but I used what I had on hand to create a similar effect.

Cucumber Dressing:
-1/2 small cucumber, seeded and cut into very small dices
-1 clove garlic, minced
-2 or 3 Tablespoons sour cream (depending on how creamy you like it) 
-1/2 lemon juiced and zested
-Salt and pepper to taste 

Some Middle Eastern and Greek inspiration served with a side of boiled corn like a true Hoosier (SHOUT OUT from the corn fields!), and you have yourself a delicious dinner in about 15-20 minutes. Even on the laziest of nights a little bit of creativity, a dive through your freezer and a sinking bank account can build you a better and healthier dinner than any take out! #FTW

Enjoy for those days you can barely get your bum off tha' couch, whether homemade or store-bought! 

No comments:

Post a Comment