Thursday, July 11, 2013

Jockamo-Style 7 Layer Pizza

So I've been working from home... which sounds glamorous and is until I realize Alex has a looonnnggg commute both ways and never know when he's coming home (AKA: when to have dinna' ready) and feel shameful when he walks in the door askin' what's up, and I'm like a deer in the headlights, especially on those days when he reallllllllly ain't feeling like scrounging something up for himself on my lazy days (which basically this whole week happens 1-2x per FULL week, I like to keep it at)....

Wish thinking cause' this week that was NOT gonna happen with a migraine morning on Wednesday and back to back to back calls to make... OY-VEH!

So I annoyingly call Alex wondering if he's left the office and he says he's stopping at Lowe's to pick up flowers for our new flower bed he made for the front window of our house (picture to come....!) and could I very please have something cooking or ready when I get home. 

Ooookkkaayyyy? I said, and then panic mode, check fridge, freezer and pantry and let mind think.....  

AHHHHHH, we had an extra pizza dough from the pack of 2 I bought when I felt inspired to do a Katie Style version of Pizza Primavera based off our very favorite pizza place down the road, Jockamo's whose crust cannot be beat my friend, but we're pinchin' our pennies for a bit! 

Ever since then, I wanted to go off-the-pizza-beaten-path and twist things up with trying out their 7-layer pizza (especially since when we do go there, I'm insistent on getting my very favorite since it's oh-so-drooling delicious + I'm too stubborn to change something that ain't broken (and my Jockamo's "Build Your Own Creation" I concocted just can't be changed friends!)

All but black olives, I said to Alex... is it okay if it's a bit.... "different"?

SURE, I'M JUST DARN HUNGRY!

Noted. Okay. 

Here we go folks.  Quick, painless, delicious and perfectly spicy. 

Jockamo's Style 7-Layer Pizza
Serves 3-4, 8 normal slices (medium sized pizza)



In the line up!

- 1 pre-made pizza dough
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 Tablespoon salsa (store bought or homemade) + extra for topping
- 3 teaspoons hot sauce (adjust to your sensitivity & what you use)
- 3/4 of an 8 ounce block of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (can use pre-shredded)
- 1/4 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 Tablespoon reduced fat sour cream

Honestly, we had all of this on hand already, so it was crazily simple, although we just ran out of pre-shredded cheddar cheese so I shredded it myself, but am so glad I did because it truly made a huge difference!

Wish I had everything to have used homemade salsa, but when hubs is a starvin', whatcha to do?!


Now.... onto off-the-beaten-path and oh so delicious PIZZA!

Coach's Orders!

1. Heat 1-2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over medium/low heat in a medium sized pan, then add minced garlic and dried oregano and let sauté for no more than 30-60 seconds so garlic doesn't burn.  Stir consistently.
2. Once garlic is slightly browned, add vegetable broth and drained/rinsed black bean to the pan. Stir all together and increase heat to medium until vegetable stock reduces and beans become tender.  At this point, also stir in the red pepper flakes to spice up the sauce.





3. Once the vegetable stock has reduced and the beans are tender, use a spatula/fork/potato masher to mash the black beans into a sauce/paste like consistency to form the base of the pizza.  I used the spatula I was stirring with, which left a thicker base, but we like our sauce thicker for these kinda pizzas! Then layer the pizza crust with your black bean dip sauce :)

4. For extra moisture, as the dip is heavier, I added about 2 Tablespoons of salsa before adding the cheese as another sauce base on top of the black bean mixture!



4. TIME TO ADD THE CHEEEEEEEEEESEEEEEEE :)




5. I shredded about 3/4 of an 8 ounce block of sharp cheddar cheese and added 80% to the pizza before adding in the oven and left a little more for the very end.

6. Evenly top with sliced green onions and quartered cherry tomatoes and top with cumin, chili powder, paprika and hot sauces (.... that we gather from Taco Bell!... SOOOO GOOD)



7. Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes, turning at about 7 minutes to evenly brown.

8. Check around 10 minutes to see how it looks ---->

YUMMM!

When you've only got a 2-3 minutes left, add that last bit of shredded cheese, some salsa for extra moisture, and a teaspoon or so of extra hot sauce if you like it with a not too sharp, but noticeable spice, then pull that baby out and let er' rest before cutting in!



Seriously, shredding the cheese myself this so mouth-watering good.  Bubbly cheese, melted to perfection, perfectly spicy by mixing up the "spice level" Taco Bell packets.  The salsa added a perfect moisture, while the black beans were protein and flavor packed, but not too heavy.  Green onions were a perfect substitute for regular onions since they're lighter in flavor so don't take over if there's extra on one slice and the fresh tomatoes were a perfect compliment to the salsa!


Once she's a ready, slice er' up however you choose... We were feelin' squares instead of traditional and within minutes.... Serve with some extra salsa and sour cream to dip and you've got yourself a not-so-ordinarily-DELISH pizza.... of which 1/2 was gone via my hunger-crazed husband within a couple minutes....



 Pizza is a way to be SO creative and still very healthy, and when you make it at home, you control the quality of ingredients.  I know Jockamo's has TOP-NOTCH ingredients, but eating out more than a couple times a month just ain't in the budget, so this was our best alternative and a way to eat-outside-the-box ;)

Time to get ma' stuff in order as this has been just been a bonkers week... Yes, working at home and making your own hours is blissfully nice.... except when your sleep/wake pattern + summertime allergies decide to turn on ya'!

Until tomorrow my friends!

~~~~~~~~

Find me on:

Twitter: @IndysVeggieFix

Instagram: IndysVeggieFix

No comments:

Post a Comment