Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Muffin You Won't Forget

HUMP DAY HAS ARRIVED!

Although tomorrow is my #Friday since we're packin' up and hittin' the road on Friday morning for the BEACH & some family shenanigans! WOOOOOT! Have-I-mentioned-how-excited-I-am-about-this-very-overdue-vacation?!?! I'm talkin' like 6+ years since I've had this long of a vacation so yes... it's surely in order ma' friends!

Due to the hectic nature of all things pre-vacation, had to get all ma' chicken's in line, which required a trip into the office, which was surprisingly serene on the way in!



Catchin' some sun rays before I hit the dungeon (my office is in a basement, epic bummer!), but caught some sites of #downtown Indy like the War Memorial and what's hoppin' on campus as classes started this week!

And of course, my sweet boss, the sweetest woman that ya' ever would know! (for reals) offered me a traditional "Fortune Card," which is a Chinese symbol of good luck, prosperity, long life, happiness and wealth as she explained.  This was her way of honoring my hard work through this past year and a wish of good fortune in my vacation to come, for a time to enjoy with my husband and family. I just the stuffin' outta her!



<------- Tired from a long day, but very thankful. 











------------> The bright color/linkage of the fish and the Fortunate Card are also an important symbol of abundance. 

Since we're goin' on vacation, this week became..
Operation: Clean Out Fridge!

... Hence came an sorta odd, yet DE-LISHHHHH breakfast/dessert muffin recipe. I'll always be the first to tell ya' to leave the bakin' to someone else and leave the cookin' to me, but I finally nailed a recipe and Alex is having to resist so he could enjoy the muffins throughout the week and as a dessert, but such a good recipe for our about-to-go-bad zucchini and bananas we were facing!

Baking and I have a very love/hate relationship, but as of now:

Katie: 1
Baking: 0

#FTW

Zucchini, Banana Nut & Chocolate Chip Muffins
Serves approximately 14 large muffins
Adapted from Simply Recipes

In the line up!
- 1 1/2 cup zucchini, thinly sliced or pureed
- 1 1/2 cup bananas, overly ripened, pureed
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
 - 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Powdered sugar (optional)

Yes, the list may look lengthy, but I had all o' this already in our fridge or pantry!

Start by slicing up the zucchini and so I don't get strings of zucchini in a bite of the muffin, I choose to puree them until smooth and perfectly green. 




In a large bowl, add the eggs and whisk together.  Next, whisk in the vanilla extract and the sugar. Once the sugar is dissolved, pour in the melted butter/margarine and add in the zucchini mixture and then the banana mixture until well combined. 



























Once the zucchini and banana purees are well mixed together, whisk in the cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and slowly add in the flour. 








Last, but not least!, combine in the chocolate chips and chopped pecans and stir until mixture is still gooey and chocolate chips and nuts have evenly combined through the batter. 

Fill as full as ya' can to get big honkin' muffins 14 holders and bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.  Stick a knife in after 25 minutes, and if it comes out clean, you know they're READY!

And they came out, browned, moist and full of flava'!

I like to sprinkle some powdered sugar on top of mine when they first pop outta' the oven for an extra sweet bite :)


Can't think of a better winner to clean out ingredients, have a great morning or evening sweet snack, and not have to worry about throwin' a bunch of food away... Don't you just hate that feeling?!

EEEEKKK, it just pains me!



Enjoy ma' friends!

... And don't ya' worry, the blog will continue on through next week despite being on vacation because where you find my family, the food (.... and plethora of wine) will naturally follow, so I'll be keeping ya' updated on what we're eatin', probably get my elbows wet for a couple weeknight recipes with my step-dad and sisters, and our general crazy-fun.... and relaxation!.... I assume this vacation will be full of!

~~~~~

Find me on Facebook and Twitter on the right sidebar of this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment