Thursday, August 22, 2013

Operation: Pre-Vacation CLEAN-OUT-FRIDGE!

Happy Thursday everyone!

... and I can't say mine was exactly "happy" as it was oh-my-gosh-we-still-have-so-much-to-do... but that will all wash away when I can stick ma' feet in the sand and wander my mind away into some long-overdue books I've been wanting to read!

..... oh, and lots o' family shenanigans! =)

Turns out ma' husband was all on board and not crazy as I screeched to him... Is that soy sauce I smell?! around 10pm last night. 

Alex: Yeah, I'm making a budget-life remix!

(in Alex talk, that means... I'm taking everything I can tastefully put together and make some snacks for the road so nothin' goes to waste... OPERATION: CLEAN OUT PANTRY!)

As some may have read, my pessimistic side said:



.... but I quickly stunned by the DELISH & plentiful chex-mix like tub o' love/food!

















And then I got ma' spray tan so I don't arrive on the beach lookin' like a ghost (and I do NOT do tannin' beds!), so I get to look like a super brown oompa-lumpa for 24-48 hours... EEK! 



...... I digress (as an high school teacher of mine would always say and is practically the saying of my life!) from oompa-lumpas to a great veggie recipe, similar to an ol' classic, and perfect for OPERATION CLEANOUT FRIDGE!

VEGGIE TURKEY CLUB
Serves 2

- 2 Quorn Turk'y Burgers
- 1/2 loaf of ciabatta bread, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup spicy tomato aioli (1 Tablespoon per bread slice)
Didn't I tell ya' to make EXTRA, EXTRA, EXTRA?!
- 4 slices tomato (2 per sandwich)
- 1/4 cup romaine lettuce
- 2 slices havarti cheese (1 per sandwich)
- 2 slices provolone cheese (1 per sandwich)
- 10 fresh basil leaves (5 per sandwich)
- 5-6 slices tempeh bacon (3-4 per sandwich)
- Nonstick spray
- Salt and pepper

Start by preheating oven to 400 degrees and roast Turk'y Burgers lightly lathered in non-stick spray and seasoned with salt & pepper for 15 minutes.  While the burgers are a cookin', cut half a loaf of ciabatta bread in half and lather one side with the spicy tomato aioli... Didn't I tell ya' to make EXTRA?!























Next add the cheeses on the coated side, then top on the lettuce, then the tomato slices (PS: we have a plethora of cherry tomatoes, so I had to use what we had on hand.. AKA: Clean out fridge... but this is NOT recommended upon my bite... Whoops!) Lesson learned!





I cook the tempeh bacon in the microwave and removed the roated Turky' burger and let cool.  Then I sliced up the Turk'y burger to fit the bread :)

Once cooled, add on the bacon on top of the tomatoes, then add the basil leaves, and last but not least, the TURK'Y SLICES!







Lather the other side of the bread with another Tablespoon of de-LICK-licious aioli and I'd recommend puttin' in a tooth-pick or 2 to hold everythin' together!



Spice from the aioli really makes the difference instead of just plain ol' mayo mixed with the crunch of bread and bacon, and freshness from the lettuce, basil and tomato is just a SUPERB cold sandwich combo!


SLURP, SLURP... MORE SLURP!

Here is why tomato slices are important as opposed to my cherry tomatoes switcheroo....




Why yes... it DID fall apart within 2 bites...


Use tomato SLICES..... just to let ya' know again!






Alright, follow me on Instagram (IndysVeggieFix) and here on the blog to see pictures of our #vacation adventures of food & fun starting tomorrow mornin' =)

Hittin' the road with tons o' my stuff!

But amidst the chaos... Gotta stop and enjoy a perdy Indiana sunset when ya' can.... and before there's white fluffiness on the ground!, which ya' never know, could even already be here when we get back, but we'll hope NOT!



Have a great #Friday and #weekend ma' friends!


~~~~~

Find me on Twitter and Facebook at the sidebar on the right of this page!


No comments:

Post a Comment