Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A Trip Down Memory Lane

Happy Hump Day!

PS: Is it just me or is anyone else someone who would prefer it to just go ahead and rain already when it's cloudy and gloomy and screaming, RAIN AHEAD so take cover?! Same as when it's freeeeeeezing cold and you just want it to snow so at least you have some pretty fluffy white stuff to look at while you're bundling up in your winter coat?!

... Or have I just truly gone bonkers?! ;)

Thanks for all who entered the #Quorn Giveaway! The winner will be announced on tomorrow's blog post so tune in to see if you're the lucky winner :)

In the meantime, CHOW-TALK-TIME!

Maybe it's all the recipes I come across on Twitter and Facebook that I follow, but gosh darn have I been having some mad more than usual cravings for my delicious ol' favorites!

Not preggos, just to put it out there, but I think as I've blogged more, my childhood, memories of how I came to LOVE cooking, working at a restaurant where I met my hubs.... All have brought back a lot of past favorite foods into ma' brain that keep my stomach grumblin'!

Insert today's menu of POTATO SKINS!

Not that Cinema Grill invented the idea by any means, but it was one of my personal favorites when I worked long shifts or to take home at the end of a shift... and for reals, don't they catch your eye on MOST restaurant menus in America?!

My memories of Cinema Grill will always be precious as a place I learned a lot about work, life (in all in ups and downs!), love, friendship... and some scandalicious stories amongst us crazy staff! We're all guilty, let's just put it out there!... I'd consider us more a family than a restaurant, hence the lovelies that could make it to our wedding and many that weren't able, but sent their love :)


While Alex was a cook, and I dabbled in the kitch a bit after begging the Big Man to let me give it a go, but never had a hand in cookin' those babies, but I do know they are fried in 99.99999999999% of restaurants. 

So here's a (BAKED!) healthy, hearty, meatless and crave-a-licious alternative to one of America's favorite appetizers... which to be honest, is a great dinner menu item versus just an appetizer ---> Super filling by themselves and a little side salad!

I have a likin' for small-medium sized red potatoes because they're healthier and always seem to taste better!

In the line up!
- 1 1/2 lbs small-medium sized red potatoes
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons shredded sharp cheddar
- 2 Tablespoons Veggie "Bacon" Strips, finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons green onions, finely diced

Coach's Orders!














1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Wash potatoes and pinch with a fork or knife (not too deep!) on all sides, slightly lather with olive oil and wrap in aluminum foil. 



 2. Bake for 30 minutes, then let cool and unwrap from foil until you handle them without scorchin' yourself! (Make sure to to not over-bake, should be able to pierce cooked potatoes with a fork or knife easily)



3. While potatoes are a' bakin', microwave 2 teaspoons of cream cheese with 2 teaspoons of sour cream for 15 seconds and stir together for your fillin'!
















 4. Once potatoes are cooled slightly, scoop out as much or as little of the insides as ya'd like (save the rest for mashed potatoes or somethin' later in the week!)... The more potato you leave, the more filling the meal, but if you want to cut the carbs, take out more!

5. Heat oven up to 450 degrees. Sprinkle scooped potatoes with a bit of olive oil and a pinch of salt and back for a remaining 10 minutes to brown. 


 6. To not have to forego the traditional flava', I went oh-natural with meatless bacon strips, microwaved for a 2 minutes until crisp while the potatoes bake and diced up some green onions!... You know where I'm headed now, don't cha?! ;)


 7. Once browned and a bit crispy on the outside, remove from oven and let cool until you are ready to pile er' up!  Fill the scoop with the cheese fillin', top with the cheese, bacon and green onions




8. Broil for about 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and "bacon" and onions get a bit crisp.  Remove from the oven, top with some more of the fillin' if you'd like and CHOW TIME after it cools a bit or you're gonna burn your tongue I'm tellin' ya! 


 I plate some up for Alex and he asked if I prepped something to dip it in.... then he had a bite...

..... and we can assure you, you won't need any extra dippin' after you get that DE-LISH fillin' tap-dancin' with your taste buds! 


Not fried, grease-free from meatless bacon strips (that even my non-vegetarian husband swears are a trick because they smell just like the real deal, but minus a cute piggy!)

I had 3 or 4, Alex had 6 with a little side salad and our bellies were good to go for tha' night! but our memories sure did live on we re-hashed our favorite times chompin' on some of these at the ol' C-Grill... AKA, a successful dinna' of an ol' favorite + a trip down memory lane :)

Enjoy our little bit of our history.... healthy & homemade style!

~~~~~~

See/Like my Facebook Page: Indy's Veggie Fix for updates, future posts and future giveaways!

or find me on Twitter: @IndysVeggieFix

+ Instagram: IndysVeggieFix

No comments:

Post a Comment